Monday, December 3, 2012

seasonal heartbreak

So, yes, there is such thing as an actual broken heart, and although I do not see wikipedia as a reliable source (I don't), it's a jumping off point for research.  I also know you can die of a broken heart.

But my question was this: could a trauma, even a relatively small one, haunt you, a year or so later?  Could a heartbreak follow you and sadden you from the year before at the same time of year, even if you had largely gotten over the event (or thought you had)?

The anniversary of sadness.

Other heartbreaks.

I occasionally worry about my heart.  The Dr. said with that the cause of my PTSD, it was like it had flicked a switch on my adrenaline that could not be turned off again.  So that I was ready for fight or flight all the time.  I find this most disturbing when I am going to sleep.  There I am, sometimes alone, sometimes in the arms of my loved one, and my heart begins to race.  My mind and my heart gallop away and I have no control over them.  Internal Tourettes, perhaps.

I often think on this quote:
"The only obsession everyone wants: 'love.'  People think that in falling in love they make themselves whole?  The Platonic union of souls?  I think otherwise.  I think you're whole before you begin.  And the love fractures you.  You're whole and then you're cracked open."
Philip Roth, The Dying Animal

I'm not sure that I agree with it, but I think on it, particularly when putting together this entry on heartbreak.  I'm posting this, but I'm still thinking on it...



No comments:

Post a Comment